Email This Page
2001 NPPL Meeting
2001 NPPL Restructure
2002 NPPL/PSP Split
What do you think? Add your comments in WARPIG's Tourney TALK Forum
by Bill Mills
15 May, 2002
Two days after the planned announcement of the Chicago NPPL tournament, NPPL leadership has not finalized the event's date or location. This coming after the announcement that the split between the National Professional Paintball League, and Paintball Sports Promotions was finalized.
It would now appear that announcement was premature.
PSP will run the Chicago Open in June, whether it is an NPPL event or not. The NPPL, on the other hand has the options of producing an NPPL Chicago tournament to compete with the Chicago Open, producing their an NPPL tournament on another date that will allow teams to play both and decide which is best, or if an agreement can be reached with PSP, to sanction the Chicago Open as an NPPL tournament.
In the wake of paintball industry response to the announcement that the NPPL/PSP split was final, both parties are working now to get back together. NPPL President Chuck Hendsch maintains that any solution will require a way for the players and teams desires to be properly represented, as they are the lifeblood of the league.
Despite recent criticism to the contrary, Hendsch has been in regular contact with the NPPL's team elected steering committee members over the last several days for guidance and approval through the continuing negotiations.
While the NPPL had made arrangements already for their own Chicago area venue, parties in both the NPPL and PSP camps are positive about the possibility of the two groups getting back together for an NPPL Chicago Open.
According to Renick Miller, who has been handling much of the negotiation for Paintball Sports Promotions, they hope to reunite soon. "No matter what the circumstances surrounding a split, it is just not good for the industry," said Miller in a WARPIG.com interview. "Before the split people on both sides thought it would be good. Now that it has happened it has polarized the industry. We're talking again now, and things look positive. We hope to have this fully resolved by the close of business on Friday."
In addition to a final answer on Friday, Miller said that he was expecting a letter of intent (an initial agreement to come before the formal contracts) Wednesday or Thursday.
Official announcements about the results
of present negotiations will appear on the NPPL web site - NPPL.com
and at WARPIG.com, The Official Internet Resource of the NPPL.
Copyright © 1992-2012
Corinthian Media Services. WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.