paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Rec Talk

Damn Lies and Statistics

In Reply to: Are Oklahomans richer? posted by Kerry on August 12, 2003 at 17:54:54:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Posted by:
The Sun God

on August 14, 2003 at 18:39:53

Perhaps I am looking at it improperly but 6% unemployment means 94% employment. That doesn't seem so bad and you might want to look elsewhere for reasons for a paintball business slowdown. What is the historical range for unemployment? I don't think 6% is out of line. Is there a consumer confidence figure for the Houston area? What is that doing? How are other leisure time businesses doing?

I am not in your business but it seems to me that other things might be more relevant such as: What percentage of the general Houston population play paintball? What is the average income of Huston paintball players and how much disposable income do they have? What is the average age of a Huston area paintball player? What does a player want from a game and do you give it to them? How much competition do you have in your area? What are you doing to make your product more desirable than your competition? What percentage of your players are return customers? How can you increase that percentage? If your return percentage is high then how can you attract more players?

I think employment statistics are often used more to make political hay than determining business climate. Somehow blaming Enron's business collapse and the events of 9/11 (two years ago wasn't it?) as a reason for a paintball business slowdown seem more a political perspective than a rational business analysis. People seem to always find the money to do things they really want to do.

You might be right but your employment arguments don't seem all that convincing to me.

A.J. Stuper a.k.a. The Sun God

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.