paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Rec Talk

Have mom read this.

In Reply to: Parent Problems posted by RDReavis on September 14, 2003 at 18:17:53:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on September 14, 2003 at 22:35:47

Now I'm a 54 year old Dad with two boys. Both parents are healthcare professionals with clinical experience in mental health facilties. Just so MOM knows whos talking.

MOM, in a few short years woulud you prefer he spend his money on FAST Cars and FAST Women or on Paintball..... He would be a LOT safer, playing paintball.....

I'm not your NRA gun freak but hunt and fish for fun. When it comes to a kid going Columbine just read the background on these kids that did. They had few friends, lousy social skills, loners, isolated, and clinically depressed. They didn't get out much and were just plain screwed up in the head... And their parents generally didn't have a CLUE what was going on in their kids heads.

I'm a great believer in the "parents are the anti drug" theme. DO stuff with your kids. Don't just bus them around to soccer practice, swim practice, football and schedule your WHOLE family to always having to BE SOMEWHERE with the kids EVERY weekday and weekend.

Organized sports are good but I believe parents overdo it in vain hope it will keep their kids off drugs and out of trouble. Don't worry, they can find both anytime, any where. Organized sports are like a pill. Just because ONE is good for you doesn't mean 5 sports per year or 5 pills at a time are 'better'.

We were blessed with the child from HELL. There IS a God because my mother did get her wish....

But we got through it and both the boys are turning out to be happy, well adjusted, independently functioning people..

What we DID do RIGHT was get right in his face and keep telling him what he was doing was NOT OK! Always messing into his business. Searched his room regularly. Even rented a car and followed him around just to see what he and his buddies were up to a couple of times...

Along with the teachers, principals, juvenile officer, probation officer, psychiatrist, counselor, DFS worker, Foster Parents. It finally soaked in...

He drew the line for himself when the next step in the system was a locked door with a big guy for a room mate that likes young men to play with... He wasn't Stupid...... Just hard headed and didn't care about consequences until that point in his life when jail was the next step down.

Well, paintball is a sport you don't HAVE to practice 3 nights a week. Or practice or play EVERY WEEKEND. It is the occasional outing as one can afford paint and gear.

Assuming he is too young to be gainfully employed bagging groceries or flipping burgers, you realize you can make him your PERSONAL SLAVE to earn paintball money.

If he IS able to flip burgers, he will spend it on paintball and less constructive things.

And HEY DAD! This is something you can do with the BOY. Along with fishing, and camping and other stuff besides hauling him to this practice or that practice every weekend. Get a tank if you don't like walking. HE will be happy to help you work on it. He might even LEARN something along the way.

Now ONE THING.... The BAD Press about kids doing drive bys with paintball markers are the exception to the rule. Just make sure life as he knows it will be over if he does something that stupid. And that should be the end of his paintball'n until he is 18 and moved out....

It IS a safe sport but again the trick is to go to commercial fields where there is safety supervision and peer pressure to be safe.

Not playing the back 40 acres with some buddies that get into some really unsafe practices without ANY supervision at all....

So Mom, think about it and write me back. Post here or e mail me.. Any questions? Concerns?

Dale

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.