paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Rec Talk

Local Regs Apply

In Reply to: Field Operation Licenses posted by Relyt_teh_Elite on January 04, 2004 at 02:57:58:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on January 05, 2004 at 12:24:39

Like the man said Business Licenses, zoning requirements, etc. would fall within local jurisdictions and the Province Requirements.

Liability Insurance, MOST fields have.

It PAYS to shop around, especially if you want to put on scenerio games using RPGs, Mines, Tanks, etc. NPPL is basically a front for an insurance company and other strictly busines interests. Ask to see the minutes of their last memebership meetings. No such thing. Privately run for personal gain... No player or sport representation. I am Not a fan of their insurance requirements imposed on the fields and players.

But you ONLY need insurance if you worry about being sued. I know of three fields that aren't.

One got sued and just filed a corporation bankruptcy. Sold the field equipment and lease for one dollar to a buddy and opened up under a new corporation the next year. He pulled all income out as salary as he went. No assets worth worrying about. But then they went after him personally. Closely held corporations with one or two owners don't have much protection under the law just for that reason. Don't know how that turned out.. But the field is no longer in operation.

The second one just figured if the corporation got sued and HE got sued, he would just file a bankrupcy too. Said he was so poor, they wouldn't get a dime anyway...

The third felt the liability waiver would keep him from being sued or at least getting a judgement against him and decided to be 'self insured' and pay up if it happened. So far, he hasn't had to find out.... I KNOW the waiver of liabilty offers NO protection here in the US...

You would STILL be liable if you were Negligent.

Like allowing Burst and Full Auto Modes.

Like not catching every a Dial A Velocity Kid on the field of play... Or dug a fox hole "too deep". Or left an exposed rock to "trip" someone.

Judgement or NOT they are still expensive to defend and extremely time consuming.

I BOUGHT LOTS of insurance for my business. Multi-million dollar limits for which I paid a LOT of money. I got sued for a million dollars, and when I filed a claim they told me I wasn't covered for that. Well, if it wasn't covered by general liability and the malpractice liability then what is left to be NOT covered? Must have been the one policy they didn't try to sell me. The one that hires lawyers and PAYS money...

After a formal complaint, copy of their letter, the suit papers, and my insurance policies went to the state insurance regulatory commission they wound up apologizing for the incompetance of their claims department and reinbursed me the $300 in legal fees it took to persuade the plaintif's lawyer and his client to forget about it. Seems his client didn't bother to share all the pertinent facts with him... Just a nuisance suit and we had a LEGITIMATE civil action against them for violating their contractual agreement with us that we WOULD purse if they didn't drop the lawsuit and try to come to some resolution out of the courts.

But being PISSED OFF at my former insurance company, I sent a copy of ALL the stuff to the Board of our Professional Association that endorses this Company as the best and least expensive malpractice insurance that they could 'arrange' for their membershhip. The Professional Association requested to review all claims correspondence they had with their members. They refused. They wound up inviting their memberships input about their claims experiences with the Company. They got some mail. They wound up NOT endorsing that company anymore for whatever reason.

LENGTHY VENTING, I apologize. I guess the point is you need to KNOW if you actually HAVE insurance after you've paid for it and what kind of service you will get.

I have another story too but I will keep it short. I was in an auto accident with 3 cars. The one that was liable for it told the guy I didn't touch with my car to file a claim with my insurance company. He called and I gave him the info and had already notified my insurance company of the accident. They guy called me back and informed me thay MY INSURANCE company told him to SUE ME! Only then they would consider his claim... NOT what I'm paying MY insurance company for. Fortunately, the liable party's insurance reinbursed our insurance companies for fixing our cars.

So, I would ask for a LIST of paintball fields and contact information that has filed a claim with them. Watch them squirm and start talking about 'confidentiality'. Then ask for a list of their entire field list. Same answer plus the "propritary information" response.

Then ask if they have insured ANYBODY that has ever filed a claim that still uses them for insurance that would recommend their company as an insurer... Have them call you. If they can't find anybody, then you won't write a check to them. Simple as that...

Now in Mexico you can't hardly be successful in liabilty cases. You almost have to commit a criminal act to get a judgement. Insurance is cheap.

I have no idea where Canada's laws stand on liability. They have lawyers up there??? If so, see one. Especially ask about closely held corporations and protection of business and personal assets.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.