paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Rec Talk

My gear is certified for EVERY GAME.

In Reply to: Re: It is OK to 'whine' about SAFETY... posted by skunkboy on January 12, 2004 at 16:41:33:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on January 14, 2004 at 13:24:43

Certified by the field.. Just like everybody elses.... Everybody should know that.

Nobody makes exceptions for me. Some of my stuff is so weird they really have to give a good going over and have it explained how it was built,show the pressure certifications, etc. Explain what is all this EXTRA hardware does that is not usual and customary.

Everybody brings stuff to these games and has to get it approved for safety or just to work it into the game without give an unfair advantage to one team or the other.

Like My 'Electro Magnetic Pulse Grenade' bought from Radio Shack I used at Terminator 3.

Other guys on our team brought the motion detector activated flood lamps for HQ perimeter security for the night game. VERY effective.

Another scattered old CD ROM Disks around the field with 'classified information' marked on it using a permanent marker.

Another made maps with grid coordinates for all the squads to use other than the field furnished map coordinates should they be compromised. While they were at it, they also made a few fake ones and dropped them around the field.

All this stuff makes these games an little more interesting or confusing depending on your point of view.

The other side brought their toys and disinformation props too. All had to be approved to be used.

That is ONE REASON WHY there are last minute changes to some field rules.

Other producers don't allow any changes or home made equipment at all. Don't want to mess with it and the potential whining, complaints, and problems that could result. One more thing for the refs to keep tabs on during the game. Tough JOB.

I plan to take my own advise this year and ref at a scenerio game. You all should consider it too. If we all made a point of doing that, a lot of complaining about the refs would stop....

"You need to look at yourself for safety issues (i.e. your homemade everything)when was the last time that a game producer checked your hodge podge of paint spraying gear you use?"

That paint spraying gear was you standard 30 pound, pressurized water fire extinguisher found hanging in every elementary school at least when I was attending there years an years ago. Why would you have a 'safety' problem with that? I ADDED safety equipment. Pop Off valves, A pressure guage to replace the dead one that came on it.

All this because the only handy air supply I could count on using at a field is a CO2 or Nitro paintball air tanks or the Fill Station tanks supplies. All providing pressures well over the 300 psi that the extinguisher was pressure tested too. Only ran 100 psi.

STILL Not safe enough for me. Rigged a cocker pressure regulator to step down any paintball air source to 150 psi and then fill the tank. Only needed the pop off valves in case the regulator failed or they wouldn't CERTIFY IT for use on the field without one.

I just READ the rules and noticed the Change allowing the flame thrower for THAT game. Threw a couple together for the game. Just to see how they work.

But the GERMAN's didn't bring one. Tough! They could have used it.

I gather you didn't like that FLAME THROWER being used on your team either. That's Good...!

Still, Flame Throwers have never been popular because nobody likes getting rained on.

Still, we sweat til nothing is dry all season long.

Which one of my TWO Flame Throwers did you like the least. The one in the TANK OR the backpack one I carried. Both mine...

Got some good news for you. Hauling around 30 pounds of water plus all my paintball gear will literally take a BIGGER MAN than I am. I offered it to a guy that was 6'5" x 3 foot across at the shoulders. He passed.

It was a Lovely little workout up and down those hillsides. Took it off and parked it several times rather than walk up the hill with it on to the reinsertion point.

I only got to use it once and that was on Bill in the bunker guarding the creek bed at Berlin. Mission to destroy it. 'Burn't it to a Crisp' and Perry still made us put a satchel charge in it an "Blow It" too. No Problem. Boom!

The one in the tank was other players.

PLEASE SHARE any problems or concerns about HOW they used it for consideration of rule changes.

It seems to be better suited for a tank armorment because of the weight.

Now a LIGHTER, handheld, one shot, Flame thrower weighing 5-10 pounds. Hmmmm.................

Seems my backpack RPG was really a 'Hit' on Sunday. The Final Battle for Berlin segment.

I just wish I knew the 10 minute body count I racked up taking out those trailers FULL of German defenders.

The Germans were 'lucky' I go beyond the minimum safety standards on my RPG. The result is the recharge rate for the air is REAL SLOW about 30 seconds just to recharge for the next shot. That is FOREVER if you didn't get that tank on the first shot!

I personally am not comfortable with a PVC pipe air tank being pressurized while it is being held up next to my HEAD.

I am also NOT comfortable running around a paintball field with a PVC pipe pressurized container that would turn into sharp edged fragments and shrapnel should I fall down and hit it on a rock and break it. Boom!

Hence the backpack design. NOT next to my head. Potential fragments somewhat contained in the backpack. Used a METAL air tank that would likely ding a hole in it or split rather than shatter like PVC pipe. LOTS of extra plumbing, fabrication time, and HOURS trying to find a valve to use as a trigger that would also pressurize it up when toggled into the ready to fire position.

Unfortunately the ports are too small, flow rating too low, and it takes quite a while to charge it up.

But for $30 I can redo the plumbing and get a higher flow rated valve that will charge it faster than I can reload it.

All this was mainly FOR MY PERSONAL SAFETY and for the people around me when something goes very wrong..

Anybody else have a problem with the SAFETY of my gear. I want to know..... Seriously...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.