paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Rec Talk

Oklahoma D-Day.. I've heard you and suggested

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Posted by:
"James R. Mad Dog Morgan"

on March 02, 2004 at 17:25:24

I'm the writer who covers D-Day for Action Pursuit Games.. but since I get less than $200 for the article, you can guess I'm not a paid publicity agent or anything.

I've been working with Dewayne since 1997 in the D-Day game, and it hasn't been easy since I'm located over 400 miles away in Memphis. I heard all of your complaints about D-Day last year, some of which can be addressed, some of which can't. if you let me complete this I'll give you the jist.

When the field was started, it was a muddy quagimire covered with weeds, greenbriar (thorns), poison Ivy, and Bovine land mines.. aka cow patties. Cars sank up to their axles in the mud (because it always seemed to be raining the day of or just before the event), You had to drive 28 miles away for the nearest fast food, The bathrooms were home made portapotties and everyone regarded the paintballers as some sort of survivalists.

Now Dewayne has spent over $100,000.00 alone on laying gravel, running water (aka toilets and real showers) for everyone (I admit the building stinks, but you expect a building to remain morning fresh after 3000 people have used it for a weekend?). The water tastes funny, full of sulfur, that's because it's ground water.. all the water there is full of Sulfur.. Why do you think a nearby town is called "Sulfer Springs". IF you don't trust it, bring your own portable "chemical toilet" you can get at any camping store.

Safety has always been an issue at D-Day. Two years ago Dewayne got over 30 hand held chronographs and distributed them to the referees who came... but only got 9 back.. that's why there was a shortage of hand held chronos on the field last year. He's since restocked, but every referee this year has to leave his driver's licence with Dewayne until he gives back the chrono. The night game has always been a problem.. chronic cheating.. which went to new heights two years ago just can't be policed enough. This year Referees may not get hammered so much as I told Dewayne about a new "Flashing Orange" safety vest that should tell players not to shoot.. but you know some *)&&(s will shoot the referees simply because they can get away with it. They're structuring the night game so that several objectives have to be done to win.. no quick victory like last year.

Tanks, cannons and law rockets are being more heavily monitored this year, with a referee going with every tank or cannon. Last year a dixie cup full of paintballs from a cannon nearly knocked me out when it hit me right below my left ear.. the Gunner was so interested in nailing a tank.. he didn't even see me (REMEMBER Tunnel Vision guys.. a newbee mistake). More chronos on the field, more referees (he's even getting most of the local fire department (CPR trained) to act as referees). The field has always had a landing strip for a medical helo which has been on-call every year since 1997 in case something really goes wrong. And many years a mobile clinic of the Tulsa Hospital has been available and on-site that should cover most needs.

As to transportation. If you want to get on the start of the game, simply walk on like I do. If you want to start the game in the middle, then wait for the bus. he's got school buses, Deuce & Halfs, and vans to transport, but that's not enough for 3,000 people to move in half an hour. Use the busses if you can get a seat, if not use your shoe leather..

Air was a problem last year.. Three seperate companies were contracted to provide CO2 and Compressed air refills.. They got Vendor space for free for the use of their air systems.. then they didn't show up. Then the Air system of the field broke down the week before and the Company FEDEXED THE WRONG PART TWICE.. I've been trying to get the bunker to subcontract out the airsmithing to EZ in Memphis... They do all the Air for NPPL, Ultimate Maddness, and others.. they never haven a line. Even if they use someone else, you can bet your ass I'll always be on Dewayne's ass about having enough air. Like you, I'd rather spend my time at D-Day throwing pain rather than waiting in the air line. (and part of that problem was all the guys who just wanted to top off their 4500 psi system when they still had 4000 psi in the tank.. guys wait until it reads 800 psi and give everyone else a chance.

People getting out of bounds has always been a problem.. In fact one group of the 82nd got lost and nearly made it's way to Missouri before they realized their mistake. But if you stop and think about it.. wasn't that the way Normandy was on D+1. Groups of misdropped Airborne roaming around with local German units of all types trying to stop them.

The Water landing went off well last year, and will be improved this year. Several News Crews from Missouri and Oklahoma are planning on showing up. If we play with good attitudes and let the jerks know that we didn't travel 500 miles to see them wipe, maybe we can have the best time ever. But for goodness sakes remember this is a game, control your tempers and egos.. you guys are here to have a good time.. remember that.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.