paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tank Talk

Tank Action at the IAO

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tank Talk ]

Posted by:
bret_ golihew
on July 21, 2003 at 02:54:56

There was some great action at the International Amateur Open at the Butler Pa fairgrounds this weekend. For the first time, a scenario game was added to the event and the tanks that attended played a major role in the game.
The attending vehicles were- the three Tippmann and National Paintball sponsored tanks of Action Creek Paintball, consisting of the Sherman, the Turtle, and the Humvee. Weltman and Repoman brought the beautifully rendered LAV , sponsored by Air Gun Designs. The Assassin's Guild came with their Buzzkill gun platform machine. The Taliban Wagon, a Samuri 'Technical' also attended with a large tank/anti-tank crew.
The layout of the field precluded a large scale tank vs tank battle, but several small engagements between the vehicles occured. The main tank action became tanks vs players with lots of LAW kills and tank surrenders. The methods of tank 'destruction' were fortunately up to the tankers themselves. This allowed both paint loads and Nerf rockets to be used.
Overall the tank/player interactions went very well. The only problems with the machines were the machines themselves. At the start of the game, the ACT Humvee was lost when the right front wheel bearing broke, causing the wheel to fall off. Weltman's LAV didn't get into action until the last hours of the game due to several problems. When it went out and did a run into the large open base, it performed beautifully, but it too lost a right front wheel due to an axle pin falling out. The AG Buzzkill vehicle was also late into play as the crew had dispersed during overnight carousing and took a while to round up. The AC Turtle had no problems during field actions, performing many great runs on the small trails, however during the long parade through the fairgrounds, it threw a drive chain on the right side. The Taliban Wagon performed yeoman service in the scenario, making many runs into the narrow trails and the only problem that I know that they had was that they got stuck on stump after I knocked them out with a PM-79 near the Red team base. The Assassin's Guild Buzzkill made many runs into the large base and gave much grief to the Red team. They had me trapped without a LAW at one point!
The Sherman had no problems at all, but due to the narrow trails, pretty much was confined to making runs into the large open upper base.
I took a run into that shooting gallery as a top gunner and I pretty much got hammered. Afterward quite a few of the Blue team players came up to me and told me how much fun that tank encounter was. I can still feel that fun.
And it was a lot of fun. For a first time scenario game at the IAO, it was good. It was great to see my friends out there and get to see some serious tanking.

Bret Golihew

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tank Talk ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.