paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tank Talk

Realism? What Realism???

In Reply to: My Thoughts About Someones Tank!!! posted by MustangGT on November 19, 2003 at 21:24:15:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tank Talk ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on November 22, 2003 at 12:56:42

What realism? Tain't much that I can see. Not in their COSMETICS or their tactical use under typical rules for scenerio games.

So why don't that use REAL, tracked vehicles. The COSTS involved... I say make it FUNCTIONAL and any way you want to that is affordable. THAT WOULD INCLUDE WALKING TANKS in my opinion. Flintstone foot-powered but NOT requiring a $50 insurance policy to operate on a field...

REALISM? Not even part of the rules. A tank can't STOP to assault, protect, or defend an objective during most games I went too. That is REALISTICALLY how one would tactically use a REAL TANK.

10 foot rule: Understand the need for safety but I believe it evolved out of the need to keep players from "bunkering" a tank by jumping in FRONT of it and sticking their barrel INSIDE the kill box to fire a paintball. The paintball kill box is rapidly becomming OBSOLETE anyway with RPG's easy to make, affordable, and very effective against tanks. Kill boxes never really worked from what I read in the paintball community. And Putting it so it points ONLY to the front (and usually pointing down at the ground LESS than 10 feet from the front of the tank on a slanted hood)is also more of a safety HAZARD in itself.

Infantry should be able to USE the tank for cover to advance their position. NOT BACKING UP A TANK should be included with allow that bit of REALISM in the tactical use of tanks.

I vote for TANKERS to be MORE INCLUSIVE and open the doors for MORE Players to AFFORD to bring TANKS to the games. I read a trend to be more Elitist and Exclusive.

I vote for finding ways to BE SAFE and still use the tanks tactically in simular ways they would be used in the real world.

This constant moving of tanks has to Stop (Pun Intended) We tried designated stopping areas at the Battle of Berlin with SOME success and some difficulties. They could defend a position. They couldn't camp on reinsertion points. Changed the game for the better.

They decided PULL Through stopping points would have been a better idea because of the limited visibility when back out of those position and the obvious potential for not seeing someone. but the gunner had to step out and make the back up maneuver a safe one and then re enterd the tank to resume play. But he sure drew a LOT of fire when doing it. An unpleasant experience I'm sure.

So lets keep the sport evolving. Try stuff. Use what works, change the rest. The test of time will sort it all out. But it is important to make it as easy and as affordable as possible to field a tank.

I have yet to attend a game when there was TOO MANY TANKS!

I went to ONE where there was consern before game time we had Too Many RPGs. Turned out NOT to be the case with some not working. The limitations of Ammo and Air to operating them. Frequent recycling for air and ammo searches limited their use..

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tank Talk ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.