paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Model 98 / 98 Custom

Re: Newbie velocity help?

In Reply to: Re: Newbie velocity help? posted by PigTech on May 14, 2003 at 11:15:06:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Model 98 / 98 Custom ]

Posted by:
Clayphoto

on May 15, 2003 at 00:09:24

Sorry for being the pain in the butt questions guy, but got a follow up to that. :)

I come from the principle that an insulator is anything that works as a barrier between what is being held and the environment. When there are changes outside of the barrier, the insulator will minimize the effect on what it contains. When the contents starts to change, the insulator tends have a slow transfer betwen the contents and the insulator itself.

That being said, I can see your point on warm or hot days after you reach a critical mass point. On a hot day, the insulator will also start off hot and transfer it's heat. But once that is used it, the insulator will tend to prevent further warmth from coming in.

But my question comes in on COLD days. Say it's 40 degrees and you decide to play with some work horse like Tippmans with CO2. With Neopropoline (sp) covers I assume that the surface temp of the cover will pretty much be warmer than anything outside especially with as much time as a bottomline tank is held against the body.

So on those 40 degree days with 15MPH wind and sunny skies, will the tank be warmer with the cover or exposed to the elements?

Also, one other point I'll throw out. I myself plan on continuing to use my cammo tank cover. For woods games it makes concealment much easier as it reduces the metalic glare and helps blend in with color. Often with the woods games I play I spend a considerable amount of time amoung the rocks, twigs, and thorns. Other than the hydro date ink being rubbed off, my tank still looks like it's just off the shelf.

Also, with my 20 oz tank, I can pretty much count on 1000 rounds before emptying on the worst day. And since I have 2 tanks, when one runs out, I refill it and use the other tank.

For the way I play and the field I'm at, loosing a couple or even a few hundred rounds of paint per tank is almost an irrelavent loss to give in order to hide easier and protect the tank.

Partial quoting
-----------------
: : Its a good idea to keep your tank insulated when playing in changing temperatures. All the big brands sell (zip on?) insulators. You should especially use these in tournaments because if your tank is at a higher temp after a game than when you started and someone finds out, you could get into some serious trouble.

: That's actually a bad idea.

: Here's why...

The result is, the tank chills when you shoot CO2. That's because heat is being absorbed from the metal tank by the boiling liquid inside. The CO2 is warmed up by the tank body getting colder. The tank in turn absorbs heat from sunlight and the air around it.

: If you insulate the tank, you keep it from absorbing heat from the air and sunlight. If it can't absorb more heat, it will soon not have enough heat to give up to the liquid inside.

: That's why it's a bad idea to insulate your CO2 tank. Insulating tank covers came from the idea that the covers would "keep them warm," from people who didn't understand the flow of heat going on in the system, and just knew that when you wrap yourself in a blanket, you feel warmer - but that is because the human body generates it's own heat - a CO2 tank doesn't.

: See you on the field,
: -Bill Mills

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Model 98 / 98 Custom ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.