paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Model 98 / 98 Custom

Re: 98 custom quiet it down

In Reply to: Re: 98 custom quiet it down posted by Clayphoto on June 10, 2003 at 11:35:28:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Model 98 / 98 Custom ]

Posted by:
{GAG}Warlord

on June 20, 2003 at 19:01:43

: From what you're saying, I'd definately try a different paint. I don't think that Brass Eagle equipment is as bad as most people say, but that's not really saying much either. Since you're saying Brass Eagle paint, I'm also going to make the assumption that you're getting it from department stores. Wal-Mart doesn't take care of their Paintballs any more than they do their cans of Rustolium. And a case of paintballs is easy to ruin by not handling or storing properly.

: I would go to your pro-shop and buy a mid grade paint. Likely to be something like PMI Premium, Severe, or Nelson paint. Proshops are much better about keeping fresh paint in stock and storing them properly. If you break alot of balls using that type of paint, then you can reasonably say there is probabyl something wrong with the gun. But you're describing a paint product that is designed for maximum affordability and accesibility, not reliability.

: For making your Custom 98 being quite.... to be honest I wouldn't worry about it. A Custom 98 is enherintly noisy. The major ways to make a gun more quite is to run lower pressure over a larger surface area, lighten the weight of the internals, and smooth all surfaces of the moving parts. By the time you spend the money to do that with a Custom 98, you probably could have just gone out and bought an Impulse or an Autococker that are just as quite stock as a Custom 98 maxed out.

: I have a custom 98 myself and absolutely love it. But I have it with the recognition that I sneak and snipe for the first shot, not for the entire game. :)

:
: : Thanks for the response, paint might be an issue but it is a too small not too big issue as it rolls easily down the barrell. I was breaking a bunch of paint last week that was brass eagle and seemed to be right paint for barrell as the "blow gun" test worked right but I was breaking paint every game so I went to this midnight stuff and did not break any paint but (just like the Brass Eagle paint) the accuracy was way off asnd very inconsistent. I have also used reaper and that also curves. My son has an autococker and with the brass eagles he was shooting dead on and not breaking paint. I also need to quiet this gun down as I play outside mostly in the woods(large area) and stealth is a key. I am thinking to get a closed bolt system(rocket cock or other rear cocking system) and maybe a freak system to be able to match the paint. I want quiet and accuracy(distance would be nice but I don't want a flatline). Can I get this with my custom or ahould I dump it now and go to a higher level gun without dumping $$ into this thing.
: : Thanks Again

I agree with everyone about the paint.Bad paint will KILL your accuracy.I have the same combo of the custom 98 and the boomstick.I use Powerball paintballs and they are the same bore as the barrel from the spec sheet that I saw and accuracy is great.Yes my 'gun is loud also but I try and play as quiet as possible so I can get in position so I don't have to use alot of shots.So my advice is to match the paint and barrel sizes .988 or .989 for the Boomstick and good luck!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Model 98 / 98 Custom ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.