paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Model 98 / 98 Custom

Re: cyclone feed

In Reply to: cyclone feed posted by moosecustome on March 28, 2003 at 11:15:25:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Model 98 / 98 Custom ]

Posted by:
RevHeywood
on July 22, 2003 at 15:38:56

Ok, well at least my friend isn't the only one with this crazy idea in mind.

He'd seriously proposed the idea to me last night as something I could posibly do. Now I havn't had the chance yet to sit down, strip, and compair the guns yet. But I do belive it can be done. It just won't be as simple as "Drop in and rip away". There are three problems with the 98 that would make this, fun.

The first being the mounting bolt for the cyclone feed. On an A-5 it's right below the chamber under the bolt. Most 98's have some sort of ASA threading there. Be it for some sort of gas through fore grip or just a good ol' fore grip. The gas through is the BIG problem. There may be no way to have that bolt go through there, and without it no way to hold on the cyclone feed.

The next, the fact that a 98 has a standard diagonal chamber feed. An A-5 shoves the paint in through a nice horizonal hole. The 98 can be modifided to accept the horizontal feed from the cyclone with some grinding to the body. But then you'll be left with a gap over the feed port that will need to be filled in some how.

Last, No extentions on the 98 body. An A-5 has what ammounts to two pins sticking out the right side of the body to keep the cyclone feed in position. Potentialy this can be easy to fix, just drill a couple of holes and stick in some pins of corisponding size. But then the A-5 still has one more thing sticking out the right side, a curved feeder arm. Without it to pull the paintballs in, they'll just spin around in the cyclone feeder. This can quite potentially be very hard to rig on to the side of the 98.

People thinking it wont work because of "Internal Diferences" are for all intents wrong. The stock 98 custom valve can be used, but would require fine drilling and tapping to run the air line to the cyclone feed piston. But if the gun already has the RT upgrade (like my friend's), then it's just a matter of using a T fitting from the A-5 RT kit. The waste air from the hammer push back will
do the trick of actuating the cyclone feeder. Ie, ball only gets pushed in when the bolt is back.

Theoreticaly it could work. One just has to be willing to potentially destroy a perfectly good 98 and then spend $115+ on the cyclone feeder and random bits 'n pieces. It would not be an easy thing to do, I'd ONLY SUGGEST it for one who is willing to drop around $600. (Cost of original 98 w/ RT kit, a cyclone feeder from tippmann, and a replacment A-5 RT once the 98 is borked. Oh yeah plus random bits 'n pieces)

: I have been wanting to install a cyclone feed on my 98 custom for some time.
: has any one did this? does it work well? how did you do it? what did it cost?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Model 98 / 98 Custom ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.