paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Model 98 / 98 Custom

Re: Cold weather play

In Reply to: Cold weather play posted by PB_Rookie on January 08, 2004 at 15:49:16:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Model 98 / 98 Custom ]

Posted by:
Clayphoto

on January 08, 2004 at 16:32:50

I was worried about the same thing myself a few months ago. For my setup, the only adjustment to the air supply I've made is to add a Palmer Stabilizer, and Anti-siphone tubes for my 20 oz tanks.

In my opinion, a Palmer Stabilizer is a great investment for a Custom 98. A bigger annoyance for me at the time I got was than the velocity variance shot to shot was chroning at 260-285 at 10AM and find out I'm shooting 290-315 3 hours later. Now, I chrone normally at 277-285 at 10 AM, and am +- 3 fps when I rechrone 3 or 4 hours later.

Some will argue to not worry about a Palmer Stabilizer and just go to N2 right away. That has some good merit.

For my money, I prefer the Stabilizer first. For $100, you have a regulator that will outperform a C98. If you buy a $100 N2 tank, you'll end up throwing the tank away when you get the next best tank. You'll never throw away the $100 for the Stabilizer. Especially when you will use it with your GOOD N2 tank when you buy that down the line. Net result, spend $100 now and geta fundamental difference in performance of your C98. Then spend $180 on your 4500 tank, and you will have an system in which your Tippmann internals are your weak point.

For your other questions... yeah, it's possible to damage your gun with CO2. But a Custom 98 is built to take CO2 better than any gun. My cousin had to quit playing one day in about 45-50 degree weather because he sucked up liquid CO2 into the internals of his Pirannah. His day was done and had to do some repairs to it. I had a friend one day that played with his C98 in about 30 degree weather and finally froze up his gun. We let it thaw out, then next weekend he played again. Didn't even do a break down and clean of the gun.

My personal experience is that the coldest I've played in was about 40 degree weather and did not have any trouble. I simply got about 700 rounds per tank instead of 1200. I'm somebody that gets their kills by snapshooting and posting up. Gotta keep that in mind. I've never had any damage to my gun.

Looking past my personal experience listed above, my generic recommendations based on what you said.

1) If you can, have two tanks. That way when one is refilled (and cold), you can play with the other tank that has been warmed up.

2) Buy anti-siphone tubes for your tanks. They're nice no matter the weather.

3) Improve your air supply by
Cheap way;
Expansion chamber (the larger the better). You should be able to pick one up for $20-60. This will help your velocity a little bit, and do alot to keep liquid out of your gun.

Moderate Expense;
Palmer Stabilizer, will help alot on velocity. It also does almost as good of a job of keeping liquid out of your gun.

Expensive:
N2 tanks. Solves your CO2 problems by getting rid of the issue. My recommendation on them though is that if 4500 tanks are out of your budget range, wait till you have the money for them.

Hope that helps!

: I purchased a 98c (stock) over the summer and have played with it a lot recreationally. I do not care much about spikes velocity, but I am worried however that the upcoming cold weather may damage my gun (since it runs on Co2) i have heard that firing less quickly and using a smaller tank can help prevent damage.
: 1) can my gun be damaged by the cold weather
: 2) what is the coldest i can play in
: 3) what can i do to prevent damage without spending a lot of money

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Model 98 / 98 Custom ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.