paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker

You have to keep it clean

In Reply to: how much maintenance is a cocker? posted by paintballer86 on November 12, 2002 at 17:14:08:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on November 13, 2002 at 10:08:31

A lot of people do a lot less than I list below. But I like to play with my marker and don't like fixing things at the field. So this is a preventive maintainence program that will ensure trouble free operation due to dirt.... It is NOT a Tippman. Dirt is the first consideration when performance problems chop up. Alway start fixing with a good cleaning.

Just like ANY paintball marker it needs to be cleaned and lubed after play.

The bolt, hammer should be removed and cleaned along with the bores they go in. Every 3-4 cases of paint or so, remove the detent and clean it. More often if you have had a lot of chops. Less often if you haven't.

Every 3-4 cases remove the grip and throughly clean the internals of the grip without further dissassembly. It accumulates a lot of dirt and you will avoid a sticking trigger problem. Some people use carb cleaners to blast the gunk out. It is OK unless you have plastic grips, paint, or frame. Dissolves the finnish too.

Cleaning does not affect the timing settings UNLESS the mounting screws for the grip allow the grip to shift position forwards or backwards when you reinstall. I haven't had that problem with my Benchmark grip but have often heard that problem occur with others. Especially hinges.

Before you time the marker and when you
re-install the grip after a cleaning, start the screws 95% in and just push the grip either all the way forward or backward while you are snuging down the screws. That way you can be sure it will always go back in the SAME POSITION during a reinstall and timing won't be affected.

Periodically, as in every 10 cases of paint, you need to clean the internals. Valve, Reg, 3 way, and especially the ram.

Use denatured alcohol for cleaning to remove grease, gum, and WATER incase you played in the rain.

Here the valve needs to be removed and you will need a valve removal tool. $15. Clean, lube lightly and reinstall.

Remove Both regs and soak them in a glass of denatured alcohol Rinse it several times with alcohol. Drain it, pucker up and give it a good blow, and then let it dry overnight on a warm place like the top of the TV or Stereo. No further disassembly required.

If you get a foot of extra hose you can clean the ram and 3 way ON the marker, it is awkward and best to have a buddy help. Put a long piece on the middle of the 3 way and into a glass of alcohol to pump it through the 3 way and ram. By cycling the trigger and manually pulling and pushing the back block in and out you can literally pump alcohol through the mechanisms and it will vent out the 3 way onto the floor. So have a bucket, rags, or do it outside. Notice all the goooh that comes out... Then pump air though it, tilt it to get the liquid out of the ram ends and let them dry overnight too.

I'm partial to clear hoses. When you can't see through them, it is time to clean internals.

That is what I call maintainence. Like the other guys said, Once you get it timed, you don't have to keep retiming it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.