paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker

Got access to a chrono?

In Reply to: autococker help! posted by Man_Animal on January 21, 2003 at 21:45:14:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on January 22, 2003 at 10:20:21

Paintballs DO drop like rocks. If you don't have it chronoed up to the local field limits, they drop like very large rocks.

Chrono it for the speed limit at your local playing fields. Not more than 300 fps.

Then that is as good as it gets. Fortunately every other player has the same problem.

Everyone would like a ballistic path of a big bore rifle over a 100 yard distance. Not in paintball. The only way to flatten the ballistic path is to increase the velocity which is dangerous to other players beyond 300 fps. The masks aren't designed for high velocity impacts.

There is ONE exception that I describe below...

You said your goal is: "Range"
That means different things to different people.

To me that is the practical distance that I can get a consistent ball break. Closer for padded torso and farther for hard things like helmits.
It is a function of retained velocity and how easily you paint shell will break. I use Diablo Hellfire to extend my "range" 10-15 yards over other players using different paints. It is a super thin shell. The fun part is getting it out your marker in one piece... Strictly a LP only paint. Also very accurate and expensive.

'Range' also has an accuracy component for some people. How far away you can get 75% of you shots in a facemask sized group. I'm also one of those.

"Range" also means the practical distance you can aim at a target and actually get the elevation right to hit it.

Thats why they invented flatlines. The ballistic path is relatively flat for about 30-35 yards then it drops like it came off a water fall. IF you put a scope on one and benchrest it, you discover the pattern of the 10 shot groups are LARGER than the stock barrel with the same set up. They tend to string out horizontally.

Flatlines are LESS accurate by that definition.
Flatlines are MORE accurate defined by the ability to get the elevation right 0-35 yards which is the practical range to get a consistent break.
Flatlines are Less accurate defined by the distance they can get a consistent break.

Flatlines puts backspin on the ball. It throws sliders. The ball shell has to withstand the acceleration, friction used that spins it, and the centrifigual force of the curved barrel. It takes a pretty tough ball. A thick shell. One that doesn't break as easily as other paints.
So flatlines are limited to 30-35 yards for a consistent break as well. And that is probably where 95% of all rounds in the sport are shot...

Everybody is looking for an 'edge'. Range is certainly one of them. Accuracy and Rate of Fire follow closely behind.

Now what would be the "perfect" set up.

1. Consistent torso breaks at 40-45 yards.
Head shots breaking out to 60 yards.

2. Super tight patterns or groups. 16-18" groups at 60 yards. 10-12" groups at 40 yards. Or better.

3. A sighting system or the innate ability to get the elevation right so that ball pattern drops right on a guy's facemask at any distance 10-60 yards. Scopes and Red Dots don't work because of the ball drop.. They are line of sight systems. It only works at one distance then you are still guessing higher or lower with Kentucky windage and a sample shot that informs your opponent to duck... Not a good thing.

You get 1 & 2 with Diablo Hellfire and a LP valve and spring set.

You get 3. with a LOT of practice. Well everyone is looking for a shortcut. Including me. I made myself an Auto Rangefinder. You can to. Send me an e mail and I'll give you the plans for free.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.