paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker

Re: Ball detent

In Reply to: Ball detent posted by paintballer86 on February 27, 2003 at 09:38:39:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on March 01, 2003 at 11:03:00

Unscrew it counter clockwise but use a socket rather than a wrench. It is very easy to Ding up and scratch the receiver finnish with a wrench. I use a thin washer I had to slip over the Detent to protect the finnish while unscrewing it.

It is all one piece on removal. If not, it is dead anyway..

It should be cleaned periodically just like the rest of the marker. Dirt starts to accumulate and get gummy and suddenly you have a problem. The dent ball doesn't retract all the way and you start cutting balls with it, jamming or hanging the bolt, etc.

Clean with denatured alcohol. Depress the ball so you can get the alcohol behind the ball where the gunk accumulates. Dirt, pieces of shell, etc.
Fill it up, Turn it over and let it drip out. Shake it out.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

That gets out the BIG junk.

Then use the ball like a ball point pen and "write" on a paper towel to wick out all the left over alcohol and stuff. Fill it up again and "write" again.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Until Your writing on the paper towel has no dirt leaving traces on the towel.

Relube with ONE drop of 3 in 1 oil on the ball while holding it depressed so some oil gets behind the ball. Now write again on a paper towel to remove the excess from behind the ball.

Smart Parts now has a 4 piece detent for $35 that you can disassemble completely and clean. I wouldn't try that at the field.

I come from the OLD SCHOOL believing that things that are designed to come apart tend to do just that.

I lean towards the One piece detent as a result and keep a $7 spare in my box of "must have" spare parts along with that washer and socket.

I have sold a couple for $12 at the field. Along with some 9 volt batteries. O rings. etc.

Water in a spray bottle and paper towels are free....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.