paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker

Define "Range"?

In Reply to: autococker range posted by Justin2 on June 30, 2003 at 01:28:16:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on June 30, 2003 at 10:00:48

I was wondering how I can make my 2002 vert feed cocker shoot farther I've added a longbow barrel but I still want more range....

Some people define 'range' as being able to hit your target. Basically accuracy.... If that is your goal post again.

I define 'range' as the distance I can get a consistent torso break on an opponent.

To get a consistent torso break, it is simply a function of retained muzzle velocity, how easily the paint shell breaks, and how padded your target is. You have no control over the 'padding'. Since the field sets the maximum muzzle velocity and the drag on a .68 cal paintball is always the same, the only variable left that you can change is how easily the paintball shell breaks.

A premium paint with a very thin and fragile shell will add about 10 yards to your max break 'range'. The trade off is the price of the paint in the $80 a case range and the next problem you create by having a thin, fragile shell paint. Getting it out of the barrel in one piece. Also, you have to have a clear shot. If it hits a leaf or twig on the way, it breaks. You loose every 'through the bush firefight' you get into. Diablo Hellfire is an example.

You have to have a LP marker tuned to the paint and still you have to be prepared to deal with a certain frequency of barrel breaks. Your cold weather play below 40 degrees will likely require you to use some thicker walled paint. If you find one that works down to 25-30 degrees, let me know.

I've extended MY personal definition as the distance I can get a consistent break on a hard facemask. Hence the name my buddies have given me - "Head Hunter". My record single shot kill is now at 60 yards. I caught a tank driver stepping out to take a whiz. Seemed worth a shot. Stopped him mid stream with a ball right in his ear... He had to walk out and the gunner had to drive out to pick him up. While they were gone, we took the base he was helping to defend.
But my ball group is about 18" at that distance so 'LUCK' was a factor. But I had the elevation right so his head was in the center of the 18" ball pattern.

It sounds like you are an aspiring sniper.

Send me an e mail and I will send you some files that give me an 'edge' on the field.

My biggest breakthrough was the Auto Rangefinder sighting system. A Do It Yourself project that gets the elevation perfect for that all important first shot. It is more accurate than you marker and paint. It will turn you into an accuracy freak. You will be buying that real expensive, round, premium paint. It requires a VERY consistent muzzle velocity with all shots within 5 fps of the others. With your vert feed, it would have to be side mounted.

I RARELY get a clear shot at a stationary target that is over 40 yards. Just about any quality paint will break on a facemask at that distance. Anything hard. They are most often moving and comming in MY direction so it pays to wait.

But what is the advantage of camo and stalking if the bush you are hiding in is spitting out "Tracer Rounds" and gives away your position?

So I compromise on the thin walled paint and buy INVISIBLE PAINT that is a good, round, premium paint that break reasonably well. One, your position is NOT disclosed and TWO, your opponents don't duck....! They keep their heads up looking around for where that paint is comming from....They are used to looking for those "tracer" rounds. A HUGE tactical advantage.

When they can't SEE your paint, or YOU, their only option is to locate you by SOUND.

I have a REAL Quiet Cocker and still working on it. At 15 yards they still hear me, but they are scanning with their head and eyes instead of looking at the bush I'm in. Their ears can't pinpoint me.

I'm finnishing up a prototype switchable sniper mode that slows my pneumatics cycle rate to a crawl at 1 rps. Hopefully, all one will hear is the hiss of air though the hoses instead of that chink-ching of the ram and attachments bottoming out at each end of the stroke. "Hiss, click (sear engagement), hiss".

My barrel is zilenced of course. LP makes it very quiet. Still, I think I can improve on that as well.

My next project is a sniper decoy. When I fire, it plays a recording of an unsilenced paintball marker firing. They will be syncronized so any sound they hear will be perceived as an 'echo'. It can be placed (and hopefully tossed) to a position anywhere within a 100 - 150 foot radius. My opponents will take the wrong cover, look in the wrong direction, and advance and flank in the wrong direction, while I keep plucking away with my invisible paint. If they get to the decoy, I can turn it off. OR I just switch to channel 2 and the OTHER decoy will start 'firing' from a different location and I get to play with their minds some more!

When I get this stuff working and debugged, the plans and info will be available FREE for the asking.

Make sure you can receive attachments and give me the max file size your E mail server can receive. The pictures can max out your server limits easy.

Right now, you may receive:

Principals of Sound Suppression
Tips for Quieting the Autococker
Building an Auto Rangefinder
Using Invisible Paint

Soon you can request:

Rain Bird Valve modifications for Paintball Cannons, Mortars, and RPGs.

Building a Paintball RPG or LAW.

Switchable Sniper Mode for the Autococker.

Infrared Motion Detector Activated Paintball Antipersonnel Mines.

Tell me which ones you want and what kind of marker you have and if it has a vert or angled feed.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.