paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker

Re: autococker range

In Reply to: autococker range posted by Justin2 on June 30, 2003 at 01:28:16:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Posted by:
Sigrun

on June 30, 2003 at 16:55:07

Short answer: Distance is a function of speed. Increasing the speed in feet per second will increase the range. However, speed is limited and thus range is limited.

The long answer: When an object is held up and then dropped, it iw accelerate towards the earth at a constante rate. Now think about rolling a ball across a table. While it is moving in a direction parallel to the ground it is not moving to towards the gound at all. It's sideways movement may be 10 feet per second for example, it's downward movement is zero. You need to realize that the ball can travle in two directions at once; sidways and downward. It it moves both sideways and downward at 10 feet per second the result is that in one second it will be 10 feet to one side and 10 feet lower. Once the ball rolls off the table it will begin to acelerate towards the ground just as if you held it in your hand and dropped it. How long the ball remains in the air depends on how high the table is, obviously. Let's assume we have a table at just the right height for the ball to be in the air exactly one second. If you roll the ball at 10 feet per second it will hit the ground 10 feet away from the table. If you roll it at 50 feet per second, it will hit the ground 50 feet away.

There is another thing to consider, however. Friction. Once the ball has been set in motion there is no longer ant energy being applied to keep it moving in that direction. On the other hand, there is the constant force of gravity applying more energy to it's downward direction. The balls sideways travel will begin to decrease immediatly as the downward direction increases. This is what causes the arc in the balls flight. A larger diameter ball will also have a larger resistance and thus will slow down faster. A heavier ball will require more energy to get up to speed thus having more energy to shed and therefore will decelerate slower. But considering the range of paintballs, the differences in friction and kenetic energy is so miniscule as to be hardly noticed. So you can see that the only significant way to get greater range is to increase the speed of the paintball. That option, however, is not allowed.

: I was wondering how I can make my 2002 vert feed cocker shoot farther I've added a longbow barrel but I still want more range....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.