paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker

Re: bolt/ball detent problem

In Reply to: bolt/ball detent problem posted by paintballer86 on August 29, 2003 at 11:45:40:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on August 31, 2003 at 14:33:22

Even a dry bolt shouldn't 'lock up', or hang.

Which position or direction is the bolt moving when it 'locks up'? What exactly is happening?

That is an unusual occurance if it is NOT the detent.

I would be with you to first suspect the detent so here is how you check it.

Remove the detent and see if your 'hanging' problem disappears. If your problem does disappear, you can inspect the detent for cleaning, ball shell fragments in or behind the ball, or outright defects. You can fix it or replace it. Me, I always carry a spare detent and a wrench. I can sell them for $15 installed a the local field to the guy that didn't have a spare detent and a wrench... It came in handy for me ONCE myself.

Some aftermarket detents are not compatable with some different brand marker bodies. The wall thickness of the receiver body is a little thin while the detent is a little long. Or both. Singly or cobined together can create problems.

TIP: ALWAYS take your wrench with you to buy a new detent. Install the detent in the store right after you paid for it. It it doesn't fit, try another one. If they don't fit, you get your money back. Do NOT buy the excuse to shim it with a washer or use Loctite with the detent unseated. The washer marrs your finnish. The Loctite comes loose and you loose the detent in the leave and ruin a day of paintball.

GET ONE THAT FITS PROPERLY OR DON"T BUY IT. WHY PAY THE SAME MONEY FOR ONE THAT DOESN'T FIT PROPERLY, ALL THE HASSLES THAT COME WITH ONE THAT DOESN"T FIT, AND LOOSE IT AND HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER ONE ANYWAY?

Then check the detent fit this way:

If the detent is too long and / or the receiver body too thin, the body of the detent will extend into the chamber and interfere with bolt movement.

Remove your barrel and bolt. Install the detent. LOOK down the bolt end AND the barrel end. YOU should NOT SEE the body of the detent extending inside the wall of the receiver. You should only see the tip of the detent ball. Hard to visually inspect but if you can SEE IT, it is WAY off specs.

Then insert something very sensitive to touch and small enough to insert into the barrel end to feel the detent ball and if there is an edge you can feel extending into the bore. I use a finger myself.

Next, gently insert the bolt. Watch the bolt face when it touches the detent ball. FEEL it as it passes over the ball and pushes it down into the detent. It should not hang though you will feel some initial resistance at the front edge if the bolt as the ball is being depressed. If you STILL feel resistance after the ball is riding and rolling on the side of the bolt, you will have the body rubbing the bolt. To confirm this, back off the detent a 1/4 - 1/2 turn and reinsert the bolt again. If the resistance felt is lighter, it WAS the detent body rubbing the bolt.

TIP: The ball detent of the autococker is probably the part most likely to get dirty from paint, shell, and dirt. It is also the least frequently cleaned part of a marker.

When was the last time you CLEANED your detent as part of your preventive maintainence?

You all willing to carry a spare detent now?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.