paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker

I'm interested to see...

In Reply to: The Facts of Life for Paint posted by Dale on September 07, 2003 at 10:49:09:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Posted by:
Razorpb
on September 08, 2003 at 14:59:59

your feelings after using the Freak for awhile.

Razor

: : Hey I just picked up some new blaze paintballs. When I stick them into my freak insert some sides of the paintball fit fine into the insert but on some points around the paintball I can see light.

: Unfortunately, that is "NORMAL" for paint.

: Paint just isn't round. They are little footballs.

: We miked 20 ball samples of various brands and quality of paint at the paintball store I worked at. We were amazed to say the least!

: The Really Good Expensive Stuff was .004-.008" out of round comparing the average largest diameter on the ball sample to the average smallest diameter on the ball sample.

: Being an 'average' that means the several of the balls were under that .004 mark and OVER the .008 mark.

: Now the cheap field grade paint ran an amazing 0.025 - 0.055" out of round. Those AREN'T TYPOS!

: Since the entire range of bore inserts for the Freaks and other barrels are .008 TOTAL, you wind up scratching your head when you are trying to match field paint with an insert? Even medium grade paints.

: You will see gaps and it will vary depending on the orientation of the ball seam in the barrel or insert.

: Take a sample of balls and put them in with the seam touching the walls. Hold it up to the light and look at the gaps.

: Then take the same ball out and put it back in with the seam turned 90 degrees and facing front to back. Hold it up and look again.

: That is what NOT round paint looks like.

: The bigger the gaps thetricyclepier it shoots.

: Remember, Freak or stock barrels can have NO effect on the trajectory of a paintball once it leaves the barrel tip. Right?

: The more your paintball is out of round, the more it will tumble on the way to your point of aim. The pattern will spread out around your point of aim.

: Now here is the IMPORTANT PART.

: A quality barrel WILL make cheap paint shoot better. The porting and bore match are important factors in keeping ball deformity during acceleration and tumbling starting IN the barrel to a minimum.

: For example, With field paint, you have a 30" pattern turn into a 26" pattern at 30 yard using field paint. Roughly, a 15% improvement. Well, you are still missing they guy's head a LOT.

: Now with premium, high quality paint, you have a 14" ball pattern turn into a 12" pattern. Same 15% improvement. Now if you miss the guy's head, it was your AIM and not the paint or marker.

: Now do the math and figure the area of the respective ball patterns. Area of a circle is 3.14 x Radius x Radius.

: The area of your 26" pattern is 530 inches.
: The area of your 12" pattern is 113 inches.

: A factor of 5 TIMES the area that a given ball will go.

: All that says is:
: 1. If you want accuracy, buy the good paint.

: 2. You CAN afford it because 4 out of 5 times your ball won't HIT the guy IF you have aimed right. The good paint WILL go where you aim it.

: 3. You can work on your AIMING skills instead of your Rate of Fire skills to compensate for the paint going EVERYWHERE you aren't aiming 4 out of 5 shots.

: 4. You fun factor and kill ratios go UP dramatically.

: 5. Your exposure to your opponents fire is greatly reduced when you don't have to fire 5 balls to get one ball to hit where you are aiming.

: But I just broke down and ordered my Freak System with an All American front yesterday.

: I want that 2" improvement in my pattern at 30 yards cause I snipe at 50 yards and that will translate to a considerably tighter pattern at 50 yards. And the All Americans are Real Quiet. And I play year round and decided NOT to play another winter with my favorite paint rolling out my barrel in the wintertime.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.