paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Rec Talk

What many people don't realize...

In Reply to: Full Auto on Fields posted by Jayson Orvis on August 06, 2003 at 14:27:53:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Posted by:
Kerry "V i p e r" Rosenberry
on August 07, 2003 at 16:07:39

...and the mistake many people make, is that the reason for the full-auto ban in many places (due to insurance mandates) has little or nothing to do with how many balls per second the gun shoots. It simply the fact that more than one comes out when you touch the trigger. (The use of the word "touch" is important, as you will see)

Here's an unfortunate, but very possible, situation;

Little Johnny Dip**it is playing around with his new "electro-whatever" in the staging area. He doesn't have the sense to turn it off or apply the safety when he is off-field, nor has he made sure his barrel blocking device (BBD) is on his barrel securely. His friend Billy Unfortunate is standing next to him while Johnny fiddles with his new toy. Johnny inadvertently brushes against his new trigger (with it's ultra-sensitive trigger-job) and BLAM! a ball fires out and blows off his barrel blocking device, which hits his friend Billy just below his left eye. Billy then proceeds to beat the...oh well, that's another story. ;^)

Anyway, imagine the same story with full-auto. Instead of one accidental ball blowing off his BBD, it could have been followed by subsequent balls coming out and striking him in the face, eyes, etc. Instead of one ball, four or five are fired from one slip and the chances of being hit in the eye just quadrupled or more. It's simply an issue of one accident being ONE accident, or one accident snowballing into four five. No matter how sensitive the trigger is, one bump (theoretically) equals one accidental shot. This isn't the case with full-auto.

Now, let me say that this is simply that insurance companies' theory. I allow full-auto at Viper Scenario events (I have different insurance coverage) and have since the beginning. We have had zero accidents in eight years and dozens of events across the nation. It doesn't mean it couldn't happen, it simply means that, while allowing full-auto, it hasn't. Of course, we are also very strict about safety.

Insurance companies have to pay for accidents. Lower the risk and you lower the chance they will have to pay. The question is how far do you go? I'm sure they would be happy if we turned the guns down to 200fps and played in thick foam suits and full helmets, and allowed no running or jumping. However, this is unreasonable and the players wouldn't stand for it. Therefore we try and meet in the middle. Full face protection? Acceptable. Ear protection? Also reasonable. What other insurance mandates the future holds? We'll have to wait and see.

Kerry "Viper" Rosenberry
Scenario Director
Viper Paintball Scenarios
www.viperpaintball.com

: In you're opinions, why is Full Auto fire not allowed on most fields and why should it be or shouldn't it be?
:
: When compared to lightning fast, electro-pneumatic triggers, it seems that high rates of fire are currently reserved for the rich and famous of paintball (unless FA is allowed - giving newer players an equalizer.)
:
: Perhaps the rates of fire should be regulated rather than full auto?
:
: Please take hard shots at my argument, here, if you will. I'm working up to an article thing (maybe.)
:
: Gracias

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.