paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tank Talk

I'll try to make a contribution

In Reply to: Anyone care to reverse engineer this design? posted by Brad on May 22, 2003 at 20:15:32:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tank Talk ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on May 26, 2003 at 11:52:13

Well it works.... Give the man credit for a rapid fire, paint cannon.

The first thing I noted was the absence of a resevior. He obviously seems to be using a High Pressure system. I don't see anything that resembles a regulator. Just straight CO2. If he is using a sprinker valve, I bet he is pushing it way past what it is recommended for.

Probably a Ball Valve like you all mentioned.

I tried a ball in a 12 guage shotgun shell with only a primer. No powder. A claymore / booby trap idea.

Stuck it in a junk 12 guage and guess what? The ball was shattered no matter what kind of wad, cushion, pads, etc I tried. No way to measure the pressure. No way to chrono the shell pieces.
Abandoned the idea for a while. But it seemed that a high velocity set of high pressure air will just shatter a ball(s). The ONE ball that did make it out had rolled out of the shell and into the barrel part way. The air in the barrel behind the primer gas cushioned the jet and was just compressed in front of the primer jet.

If one would apply that to this idea, and the U shaped design that would extend the 2" dia chamber some distance behind the ball wad, then maybe the breakage could be reduced.

I liked the garbage disposal 'detent' idea. Maybe installed 'backwards' to the flow of balls?

Noticed his best shot in the video was when he jiggled a bunch of balls out of the gravity fed hopper for the first shot. The remainder had breakage and fewer balls per shot. He had to point it down to refill the firing chamber with balls.

He had to have a shutoff between the chamber and the hopper when it was fired or the hopper lid and contents would have been blown off as well. Right? Hmmmmmmm......

By chance did he use the ball valve in the OFF position as the port to load the balls and as he turns it to fire, it automatically shuts off the feed port? More like a diverter ball valve? I haven't seen one, but I can visualize the design of one....

What would happen if the hopper 'feed' was made out of PVC, was on top and going back over the shoulder, and screw capped at the back end for refilling the PVC "Hopper"?

Just tip it forward and refill the chamber. When you tilt it up into firing position past horizontal, the balls in the "hopper" flatten out and roll back towards the back end of the hopper.

Then you discharge it. Pressure would build up in the "hopper". Balls would be moved around but would it be a blender for the balls in the hopper? Not if they were in the back end? Thin foam liner to pad the hard PVC walls? Cork sheeting?

Hmmmmmmm...... Worth a little R & D. I have an old capped resevior that just might be worth a try for R @ D purposes.

Another observation of note. You don't HAVE to have a Wad behind the balls to get off a decent shot of intact balls. Video shows that!

The question IS do we need a wad (Dixie Cup) or just a container to hold and load them?

For you quick, semi, and breach loaders, what about an Frozen Orange Juice container with both ends removed? Fill with paintballs and use masking tape to close both ends? My Minute Maid container is exactly the same size OD as a 2" PVC pipe union OD diameter.

Or maybe leave the end closed and drill some 1/4 - 1/2" diameter holes in it to pass air through and slow down or distribute some of the Blast from the air discharge? I like that Idea....?

More variations on that theme come to mind.... Metal cans? They can hold pressure. A Gravity fed chute. A rotating breach collar with 1 - 2 - 3 - 4+ slots that would drop the empties out the bottom and then line up another slot in the top for a fresh one to drop in the chamber? I like ONE slot and 180 clockwise and 180 degrees counterclockwise or 360 degrees of rotation to unload and reload.

Wouldn't Nerfs work the SAME Way inside the cans?

What do you guys think?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tank Talk ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.