paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tank Talk

Re: Paintball RPG

In Reply to: Paintball RPG posted by Rosey on September 16, 2003 at 15:57:38:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tank Talk ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on September 16, 2003 at 22:47:29

Just finnished my revised RPG for this weekend's play.. Already found TWO things to revise to make it even better.

The tanks, valve,plumbing, regulator, pop off safety valve, and air reseviors are all mounted in a backpack Book Bag. Room for an extra 20oz CO2 as well. 9 shots per tank.....

A 1" diameter hose connects to a Grip that contains the trigger, pressure guage, and 3/4" Pipe Outlet that will accept several barrels by just screwing on and off the 3/4 pipe.

Weighed the sucker WITH a full 20 oz CO2 bottle.
Ready to fire it weighs TOTAL of 12 pounds. The back pack with all the tanks and heavy stuff is 9 pounds. What you hold in your hand weighs 3 pounds. Close to a marker mounted RPG/Grenade launcher.... Too bad it has a 30 inch barrel...\

Speaking of barrels. I wanted to keep mine light and thus SHORT. Used 2" Thin Wall. Instead of schedule 40. Works great. The Schedule 40 got real troublesome using Vortex Rockets in the Rain. They would stick instead of just dropping and sliding down from the muzzle. Had to find a stick to ramrod them down when wet. Ditto at D Day where we had to Dip The Tip in Vaseline with Blue Plumb Line Chaulk mixed in. THAT was a REAL Gooey Mess to deal with... But it DID mark 6 tank's kill plates for me at D Day.....

I have pictures of how one can do the Rain Bird modifications Posted on the webshots. If you can get there, there is a lot of information about how to modify a Rainbird....

E mail me and I have a very rough draft of instructions how to do the Rainbird. I just typed what I did as I figured it out. Including screwing up several times. But heck, why not learn from MY mistakes and just don't repeat them.....

I would be happy to help anyone get theirs made.

The HUGE weight reduction was ditching the idea of using PVC pipe as an air resevior and went to TWO Kiddie Fire Extinguisher Tanks. Aluminum pressure tested to 300 psi.... About twice the max pressure rating of the Rainbird Valve at 150 psi. The Kiddie tanks are not recharged. They are sold as scrap aluminum. You can pick them up for next to nothing at your local fire extinguisher supplier. Get them WITH the nozzles because the tank thread is so weird you CAN'T get anything to fit short of welding on a fitting. I just cut the nozzle off, drilled and tapped a 1/2 pipe thread and inserted a 1/2 pipe nipple. Standard plumbing from there. Works like a charm.

You might luck out and find a 5 pound tank and rig up the fittings. Those are rechargable and you can order the fittings from the manufacturer. But the throat diameter seems small and potentially causing some flow restrictions. My TWO half inchers dumped into 3/4" pipe fitting from there. I don't really know if a 1/2 inch diameter hose/pipe would work OK or not...

I already HAD some 1" ID hose from one of my other hobbies - dumpster diving.... Otherwise available from Home Depot for about $2 a foot.

Make sure your hose WON'T kink and collapse. That was my First try. I really want somebody to try two stainless steel reinforced Washing Machine Hoses. About 4 feet long. My 1 incher is stiff. The two stainless washing machine hoses would be much more flexible... I got by with my stiff hoses by leaving the 3/4 pipe thread fitting LOOSE on purpose on each end of the hose. They SWIVEL if they need too. Since they are pressurized ONLY during firing, the air loss past the loose threads is insignificant.

I would be happy to help anyone get one built.

I have been using Pocket Rockets up to this point but I have a Prototype II of a LONG RANGE barrel that shoots paintballs at a tank. Hopefully it will be just about the same range and accuracy as a paintball marker except it shoots 40 balls in one shot...... Some Cheap Field paint ought to put 3 balls on a kill plate with a 6' diameter pattern of 40 balls. And the guys in the tank should KNOW they got hit with something 'special' when it happens.... But only if this thing WORKS!

E mail me ddupont@charter.net

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tank Talk ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.