paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Model 98 / 98 Custom
Having just recently traded my Cocker for a 98...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Model 98 / 98 Custom ]

Posted by Ben "Pump Scout" Kohnen on July 10, 2002 at 10:57:56:

In Reply to: Can a tippmann compare to a higher end Gun? posted by paintballer86 on July 09, 2002 at 18:09:57:

I can tell you that the 98 is just dandy compared to the Cocker. Now, my Cocker was a 97 model, a little heavier and slower than the new ones, and certainly not up to specs with the high-end Cockers. What I've been looking at is the fun/price ratio. A GOOD Cocker will set you back somewhere in the neighborhood of $600. A 98 will base-price around $125, add in some goodies, call it $300 total. Tournament capability is what you make of it. Bad Company shoots Spyders in NPPL Pro. Tippmann Effect shoots 98s. Sure, there's a ton of electros and high-end Cockers out there, but it's going to boil down to what YOU are comfortable with. ROF is meaningless if you can hit within the first three shots. You can suppress or pin an opponant just as well with 2 bps as you can with 13 (how many times per second do you have to hit the guy's bunker, y'know?).
I'm not trying to dissuade you from an AutoCocker purchase. I know I'll wind up with another one eventually myself. But remember that the 98 is a fine gun, and certainly nothing to be ashamed of, or afraid of using when you're head-to-head with the "big boys". You might even get a little of the "underdog" effect, going up against the high end toys with a "lesser" gun. You should see some people's faces when they see me take my pump into open games! :)
OK, now that I've (again) rambled aimlessly, I'll say this: Get yourself a good regulator. That will help immensely with your consistancy. I've heard great things about the Palmer Stabilizer, both on CO2 and nitro. Plus, you can get one that works as a bottom line ASA, so you wouldn't need a vertical adaptor. I really think the best performance upgrades for a 98 are barrel, reg, agitating loader, and probably nitro. Not neccessarily in any order, but those are what I'd look at.

Ben Kohnen, Limited Pump Paintball
www.geocities.com/limitedpump

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Model 98 / 98 Custom ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.