paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker

Ditto. The Disadvantages of Upgrades ARE----->

In Reply to: Re: First Cocker upgrade ? posted by Sixpack440 on November 11, 2002 at 23:53:28:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on November 12, 2002 at 12:17:28

I would agree completely.
Nitrogen is your FIRST upgrade along with a revy.
Then Paint. Yeah PAINT! Do it first and not last like the rest of us did.

The stock barrel is very accurate. Just a LOUD sucker. My sniper barrel is two stock cocker barrels put end to end. The second one has 10 inches of porting in front of the 6 inches of the cut off first barrel. I can Hit people with one shot in the head at 30-35 yards and can get breaks at 50-60 yards with a square torso shot. Unless your are a sniper, Loud is not an issue on most fields. They already see you.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You need to realize that the autococker will out perform YOU. ROF and Accuracy will be better than you for quite a while.

That is the first Disadvantage. People should spend their money their ability to play. Field fees, paint, and air. The mistake everyone makes and that the retailers and manufacturers take advantage of, is the myth that TECHNOLOGY will somehow, magically, make YOU shoot BETTER......

If you can't snap shoot and get the guy in 4-6 shots, you need to work on your shooting skills. No hardware in the world can fix that.

The second mistake we've ALL made is we embark on the 'Quest for Accuracy'. We spend money on hardware that is marketed to be the "best thing since sliced bread" for 'improved accuracy'. Barrels, regulators, bolts, LP valves, flatlines.... You name it....

The FACT is the Quality of Paint is the PRIMARY factor that controls how accurate you marker IS!
If it isn't round, it won't fly straight the microsecond it leaves the barrel and all that expense hardware behind that you bought to 'improve accuracy'. No amount of hardware or expense can make field paint shoot straight and consistently. You'll never see the difference on the field of play.

THEN somewhere along the way, you try some really good paint and are so impressed with how well your super upgraded cocker shoots, that you start playing with the expensive paint.

So you can just skip all those 'accuracy' upgrades and START with the expense paint and THEN decide if you want to spend money on 'upgrades' to slightly improve the accruacy of that really good paint. You might just figure out it is good enough because the marker is now more accurate that your ability to aim it again.

The third disadvantage is the Quest for Rate of Fire.

Because of the inaccuracy of the inexpensive paint most players start playing with, they tend to want to compensate with Rate of Fire. More balls in the air that randomly deviate in all directions from where the barrel is pointed will increase the probablility of ONE actually hitting your target before you have to duck.

The faster you go, the more you jerk your aim off target-PERIOD! With a cocker, you start short stroking and chopping. Or you can buy a full auto or burst mode and have an electronic trigger so you don't jerk it off target. And still chop balls. Your paint budget goes up and you tend to spray and pray... By then most players feel they just can't afford $80 a case paint and shoot up a $100 each day they play with a field fee. It is hard to break bad habits and hard to go back to basics but you should consider it. Or NOT go there in the first place. Start with High Quality paint NOW, work on your aim and game, develop good habits. Keep it 3 rps or less snap shooting and firefights. Slower when you can pick your shots and don't have incomming.

The third disadvantage is doing Upgrades piece meal.

Well, barring a few of us, MOST players play with finite financial resources. The trend is to UPGRADE one thing at a time partly because of expense and partly to just screw up one thing at a time....Especially with cockers.

Every time you change your marker's performance, it changes how it shoots. Right? That's why you did it. Right? Now, would that throw your aim and game off??? Yes it would. It HAS too.

People that buy an upgrade every month or two will NOT be able to aim and shoot well for a year because of the constantly changing performance of the marker. It will take at least one outing to get it working properly and you don't get used to the changes before you upgrade the next item. That seems to reinforce buying more upgrades (because it didn't improve your game all that much) and increasing rate of fire to compensate.

I did a major mod to my cocker all at once. LP, Besales roller sear, springs, and shortened 3 way.
It felt GREAT! It shot GREAT! But I couldn't hit what I was aiming at for about 8-10 outings. I couldn't blame the marker! I was amazed How LONG it took ME to get back into a groove where I could tag a player snap shooting in 3-5 shots.
It wasn't any more accurate that what I had before and really threw my game off for quite a while.

Now that I have gotten used to it, I am back in form and really enjoy the accuracy in picking sniper shots with that super light, super short trigger pull, with the super quiet LP cocker, using super thin shell LP paint that extends my range for a break 10-15 yards over everyone else, and can hold my own in a firefight with that shortened 3 way with the probablility of a chop or jam being minimal. Sweet thing.

So decide what your Performance Goals are and save up for them and do it all at once. If the goal is ROF or Accuracy, think again.

If you aren't spending $60 or more for a case of mail ordered paint, think again.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.