paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker

Re: UltraQuiet Switchable Sniper Mode Actually Works!

In Reply to: UltraQuiet Switchable Sniper Mode Actually Works! posted by Dale on August 04, 2003 at 16:38:13:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Posted by:
Corey "Geek1246" Post

on August 05, 2003 at 11:26:34

: Just put it together and ran a couple of hoppers of paint through it in the back yard.

: Seems to work just fine.

: I have an LP cocker at 300 psi. It has a custom 18" barrel with 492 ports covering 10 inches of barrel with a zilencer over it.

: The recocking mechanism was the largest source of noise when firing. Most of that noise is from the back block/bolt area.

: I did this using a STOCK cocker ram.

: With T fitting barbs, this could be done using any ram.

: You just need to figure where you could mount the toggle switch and make a bracket to mount it. Hanging down from the bottom of the front block? Out of the trigger grip next to your thumb?

: I put a second port fitting on the FRONT of the ram and installed a toggle pneumatic switch so it sticks out the front of the shroud. I reinstalled the standard barb fitting going out of the pneumatic on / off switch.

: I installed a Needle valve / choke where the front ram port is normally. Reinstalled the standard barb going out of it.

: I installed a T hose fitting on the corresponding 3 way barb that would normally go to the front barb on the ram.

: Ran standard hoses from the T fitting to each of the two front barbs.

: When the pneumatic toggle switch is open, air can flow through BOTH the needle valve/choke and the wide open switch. That is semi auto mode and can fire as rapidly as I could before the modifications.

: When the pneumatic toggle switch is closed, air can ONLY flow through the needle valve/choke. By restricting the FLOW RATE through the adjustment of the needle valve/choke, I intentionally decreased the Max cycling rate to about 1 RPS.

: Only the FLOW RATE is decreased but NOT the operating pressure of the system, which is still determined by the front regulator. Thus it has the SAME cocking pressure as before.

: The result when you pull and HOLD the trigger for about half a second is that the ram moves back SLOWWWWWLY and recocks the sear and opens the bolt. When you release the trigger it takes about another half a second for the ram to move forward SLOWWWWWLY into firing position.

: The ONLY noise besides your muzzle report is a quiet hissssssss coming from the 3 way vents.

: OH! They see me!

: Flip the toggle switch, defend yourself, and let her rip! Fast as your finger can go!

: Can't wait for a field test of a day’s play scheduled next weekend. The boy is home on leave from Germany and we are going to go chew up some local rec players this weekend. He's REALLY good.

: Need to tinker some more, a Muffler on the 3 way vents plus the shroud.

: But it IS unbelievably quiet when recocking. Just a hiss opening and another hiss closing.

: Parts were about $20 -$25.

: I plan to post some pictures of the set up ASAP.

: Anyone can e-mail me for the parts lists, sources, and details.

: FYI I thought it would be SMART to put the switch and needle valve/choke between the front regulator supply line and the middle barb of the 3 way so the choke would work on both ends of the ram. Logical right? Well, FYI it didn't work.

: By the time I adjusted the pressure to recock the marker reliably, it was STILL making a "Clack" sound ONLY when the ram went forward. Why? I can only speculate that the hammer spring gave it a little forward velocity 'boost' in the time between the full back position and when the sear holds the hammer engaged. That little 1/8" of travel when that spring was compressed fully.

: Otherwise, I am at a loss. Any ideas out there?

: But putting it on the FRONT of the ram worked. Whether being pressurized or just venting as the opposite side is being pressurized, the rate of flow is constant going both ways. Even IF the hammer spring is giving it a velocity 'boost' when closing the ram, the column of air trying to vent acts like an air spring cushion and neutralizes it.

: My Invisible Paint and Auto Rangefinder works in conjunction with this so well that stalking and sniping at close distances unheard and unseen is a reality.

: Head Hunter

Head hunter,

Somebody had some time on their hands. You have a very serious illness that I beleive a certified PHD would tell you, only paintball can cure. Happy hunting and it sounds pretty cool! :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.