paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker

Maybe you can help me on another matter.

In Reply to: Re: About the chips. posted by Corey on August 05, 2003 at 11:08:01:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on August 06, 2003 at 13:31:25

I have very BASIC knowledge about circuit logic and electronics applications.

Trying to learn as I go as a hobby. No formal training. Just reading the kids high school texts and picking up info from who and where I can.

Have a concept and design well under way for a PIR motion dectector based anti personnel paintball mine. Triggers a solenoid for a short pulse of paint out of a pressurized resevior of paint into a lawn sprinkler head. Just long enough to paint the guy(s)that triggered it and then stop spraying. A 555 chip timer circuit to adjust the pulse on time. No problem.. Simple circuit.

The problem I have is figuring out HOW to make sure the guy has LEFT sensor range and THEN rearming it for the next unsuspecting player.

A 556 Dual Timer would work MOST of the time with a long enough delay in the disarmed cycle.
But the player could retrigger it IF he hasn't left sensor range AND his buddy(s) could pass through the mines sensor range during the disarmed period of time and defeat the minefield. Wouldn't be fool proof but they could have FUN figuring out how to defeat it. Might be more than adequate.

But in the Quest for an Undefeatable Minefield Perimeter my thoughts continue on...

The motion detector is still detecting motion and
signaling the control circuits with high or low signals. Seems like one could USE the PIR motion detector to NOT DETECT motion for a certain period of time and then re arm itself.

Would use the second half of a dual timer and use the reset pin for the No Motion Detected signal. If the reset is NOT detected with motion, then the interval the second timer will expire and rearm the mine. I might have fun trying to get all that to work. Seems doable for me. Real familiar with 555 & 556 chips.

Still, if there were two or more players within sensor range (like a rush to take a base), they could pass a whole squad through the perimeter after the initial kill. Harder to defeat but still possible.

I was thinking about using TWO PIR motion detectors anyway to allow me to use it as a stand alone booby trap covering 360 degrees around it (more or less)

A single player would most likely only be detected by ONE sensor. If Both Sensors went high as the same time, you would most likely have TWO or more players involved being sensed.

One could use two simultaneous high sensor readings to automatically rearm and discharge the mine again. Now that would be a LOT Harder to defeat by opposing players. Darn near inpenatrable but could DRAIN a resevior of paint real quick if just two guys decide to rush the base together and just stand around there for 10 seconds trying to figure out what the hell just happened?

That is where I get lost in designing and building the circuit logic to control all that and work properly in the field.

Got any thoughts? Design and / or how to approach it with something other than timer circuits and PIR sensors? IR Photo cell trip wires for example?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.