paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Rec Talk

Personal clarification.

In Reply to: A Niche not being filled? posted by Team_Knightmare_Tango on August 16, 2003 at 13:04:57:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Posted by:
Rick "Wolf" Martin
on August 16, 2003 at 15:17:49

As to my post below on this topic. From someone who has played and covered the large tourneys and the player mentalities (I know a lot of others that have also done it will agree with me), rec (even hard core scenario players) and tourney players usually ARE usually wired differently (well, maybe not for some, but they are usually a negative influence). I still play local tourneys and even that bastion is getting pretty ugly.

Competition is a part of anything in a contest (never said otherwise and I have argued my own desire to win a number of times), but there is usually a limit to where (normally more ethical) rec players take it. Playing hard to win is not the issue here, as some have confused it. Hard core, stand up play is NOT THE THING we are talking about. Applying the tourney ethos to rec ball, though, is a hard line that rec players should not tolerate. Perhaps it is semantics, but maybe not, and that is what scares me. Some of you think playing to win means playing honorably (goes without saying, right), but those of us that have wider experiences freak so much because we know playing to win usually means at ANY cost. That terrifies us. We both have to understand where the other person is coming from. Just because you say "green" doesn't mean our experiences let us see or think "green."

Imagine scenario players that ignore hits and drive to the flag station until a ref has to all but tackle them to get them to stop, then they have a screaming match with the ref(s) about how blind they are while another squad can then flank the objective. It's all about the win, right? Can we ten-for-five a team that does this? Do we want squads that bunker a base and then Superman into a bunker to wipe the hits before a ref can get there? Sure, these players already exist, but they are pariahs and SHOULD be spotlighted as negatives.

I know we are still trying to dance around the line of win v. fun (and they CAN coexist), but when it is ALL about winning for your fun (I read this as anything goes, since the end justifies the means), then you have forgotten much of what paintball represents for all of us as a group at a game.

Humbly me,

Rick - TZ
(who also would rather win than not, but won't cheat, throw my gun, or punch someone if I don't)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Rec Talk ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.