paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker

Sure you want a 4500 psi?

In Reply to: Suggestions for nitro posted by Kyle on November 20, 2003 at 23:17:21:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on November 22, 2003 at 10:23:29

FYI: Air America has LIFETIME transferrable warrenty on their regulators. Bought one USED for next to nothing because the Reg was Bad and it needed a Recert in a month. Just paid the $20 for shipping.

And $40 for the recert that I have since found out I could have done locally for $25.

Then I found out that I can RARELY get much more than 3000 psi at a fill station anywhere. All the local fields use the Nitro Bottle that come full at 4500 psi. As they use it, the pressure drops. Then I come in and I get maybe 2,800 psi like everyone else. They won't switch tanks until about 2500 psi. The only way I can get over 4000 psi is if they just hooked up a brand new bottle.

Ditto, at the scenerio games. They tend to use compressors and they can't keep up with the volume demand during a game. You get your 2500 psi after standing in line for 40 minutes.

FYI: Oklahoma D Day is for all practical purposes a CO2 only event. Their compressors have broken down during the game the last two years in a row and could NEVER keep up with the demands 2500 plus players.

So before you cough up the EXTRA $MONEY for a 4,500 psi tank, check around with the local players and shops and see IF you can consistently get a 4,000+ psi fill. If not, why buy one? Consider a cheaper 3000 psi and IF you need the shot capacity, consider the next size up.

The recert criteria for a 4500 tank is understandably higher than for a 3000 psi tank. A ding on the outside of a 3000 tank might pass that would fail a 4500 tank.

Speaking of compressors:

Most recently I HAVE gotten 4000+ psi fills at smaller scenerio games that used compressors and fill station boosters. Hope the trend continues...

One problem with compressed air. It has WATER in it. Water and the steel linings inside your fiber wrapped air tanks are NOT compatable with 4000 psi air that is 20% Oxygen. Causes RUST! Then it won't pass recertification..

So get a tank that uses an ALUMINUM liner wrapped with fiber. They REP will tell you they coat the inside of the liner to prevent rusting. Well, when it gets a crack in it you get a little line of rust at the crack. Then on visual inspection they can't tell how extensive that rusts goes. So, it FAILs..

So be a good customer and ASK the Air Guy at the Game where the Drier Filter is installed on their compressor. IF they have one, ASK when it was changed last... It should have a DATE written on it when it was installed. How often it needs to be changes is based on how much it has been used.

Odds are you will get a: "Duh! I don't know!" and then COMPLAIN to the field manager AFTER the game about you wanting Dry Air out of their compressors that has been FILTERED to keep all the RUST out of their tanks from being put into YOUR Tank....

You can be MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE if the field contracts with a Scuba Vendor to bring their compressors to a scenerio Game. THEY are REQUIRED to have current, driers and filters on the scuba refils. People DIE when junk gets into a scuba regulator with 150 feet of water over their heads.

You will get CLEAN DRY air from a Scuba Vendor.
We Paintballers need to demand the SAME from our Paintball Vendors as well. Tanks and Regulators are expensive to replace and maintain.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tech Talk - Autococker / Minicocker ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.