paintballHomepaintballPicturespaintballTechnicalpaintballTournamentpaintballRecreationalpaintballFieldspaintballStorespaintball
paintballBeginner InfopaintballNews And ArticlespaintballLinkspaintballResourcespaintballVideopaintballContact UspaintballSearchpaintball
WARPIG Tank Talk

Lightweight Pressure Reseviors for Hand Helds

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tank Talk ]

Posted by:
Dale "Head_Hunters" DuPont
on May 30, 2003 at 12:18:02

I am such a happy camper.

The tanks from the fire extinguishers are aluminum and come if various sizes. They are rated from 150 to 500 psi depending on the model and tested to twice that pressure.

They are LIGHT. The smaller ones are FREE! from your local fire extinguisher supply place. The Kiddie Brands and others are NOT rechargable.

They just 'take the old tank in on exchange' and sell them a new one. They sell the old ones for scrap aluminum or trash them.

NOW the Down side. They reason they are NOT rechargable is the thread on the tank is a WIERD non standard thread...

You HAVE to adapt the nozzle that HAS the weird thread. So make sure they have a tank WITH a nozzle when you call around.

Adapting it seemed to be a pain but I, with my superior intellect and CHEAP disposition, I figured it out!

Disassemble the valve and remove the metal valve stem. Cut the sucker off right above the flange that screws against the tank.

Now, I was TOO CHEAP to spend $20 on a drill that is large enough to make a hole to tap with a 1/2 pipe thread. I had a CHEAP, dull, spade bit that was close to the right size and ground it down to match the taper on my newly purchased for $7 - 1/2 pipe thread tap.

Put it in the drill press, put the tank thread in a vise and drilled the sucker out. Takes a little finesse and a very slow feed rate but it worked times two tanks. Don't dare try holding it in your hand. Don't cut off the side piece until you are done tapping the hole....

Then I tapped the 1/2 pipe thread. I put the tap in a vice and used a pipe wrench on the flange and those handy pieces of plastic still sticking out the sides to get some 'bite'on it. Lots of lube and back it out several times to clear out the cut plastic.

Wanting to make the adaption beefy enough to resist potential damage from my frequent falls and headers that occur while I'm trying to pretend I am 20 years old again, I installed a metal 1/2 pipe union carefully selected for the right length that I could screw on a 1/2 x 3/4 metal adaptor that would screw right down to the shoulder of the flange portion.

The inside port is the same inside diameter of a 1/2 pipe. The outside diameter is your standard 3/4" pipe thread.

By using TWO smaller tanks with 1/2 pipe thread inside diameters, I feel I can feed enough volume to my 3/4" Rainbird valve.

The metal 3/4" T fitting connecting the two tanks is handy for drilling a tapping as a manifold for the pressure relieve valve, guage, and regulator input. All 1/4" NPT threads.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Show your name as:

E-Mail address (eg: joeschmoe@aol.com):

Show your e-mail address?

Your Password:

Don't have a password? CLICK HERE - Forgot your password? CLICK HERE

Subject:

Subject:Message:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ WARPIG Tank Talk ]

Copyright © 1992-2019 Corinthian Media Services.

WARPIG's webmasters can be reached through our feedback form.  All articles and images are copyrighted and may not be redistributed without the written permission of their original creators and Corinthian Media Services. The WARPIG paintball page is a collection of information and pointers to sources from around the internet and other locations. As such, Corinthian Media Services makes no claims to the trustworthiness or reliability of said information. The information contained in, and referenced by WARPIG, should not be used as a substitute for safety information from trained professionals in the paintball industry.